Building your menu is easy and can be modified as you change your menu.
Try and build your menu according to the process of preparation, serving and have the most frequently sold items at the top for easier access.
For example, if you operate a café, then have the Coffee category at the top, and popular coffees as the first item. If a restaurant, build the order of items in the order of how you would serve, Drinks, Entrée, Mains then Desserts. For menu items, build the Add-Ons and ingredients in the order of how you would prepare the food Eg. For Pizza, you will show Cheese, Meats then Vegetables. The same goes for variants, Eg for Size of serving, you would have the order of Small, Medium, Large and Family sizes
This will allow the Order Docket to print in the same order for Categories then Products and then Addons.
Below is a typical Sale screen, that includes Category on the left, Products which has price, and for those that display “x Variant”, means there is a number of price variation.
Below shows the hierarchy of items display.
Category Hot Drinks
Sub categories (optional) Coffees
Price Variants (optional) Small , Medium, Large
Included Items (optional) To remove unwanted ingredients included in the product.
Add Group (optional) Coffee Options,
Add-ons (optional) 1 sugar, 2 sugars, Syrup, Dbl Shot, Weak, Decaf
Skim, Almond, Soy, Oat, Lactose Free
Category and Sub-categories
The Category is the list you see on the Left side of the sale screen, which groups items that are similar. In food business, these are your menu headers. It allows user to tap on the category to view the items under the category.
Sub categories (optional) Soft Drinks
Products Coke 375ml
You may also create Sub-categories under the Category, this can make viewing more easier.
For example, under Drinks, you may have, Soft drinks, Juices, Milkshakes
The categories are also used for management reporting to identify and drilldown each category for best performing product sales.
Below shows how category, sub-category and products are displayed.
How to build Category and Subcategory
Use your menu you created as a guide to building your ClickPOS menu. The menu list should be similar name and grouping to the menu so it is easier to find items.
To add a new category, go to
Left Menu > Products >
The following screen will display, we will add a menu item called DRINKS, and sub category as SOFT DRINKS, JUICES and MILKSAHAKES
Follow the numbers in sequence to add DRINKS category.
- Category +
- Add New +
- Select colour
- Add Category Name eg DRINKS
Below we will Move DRINKS to top part of the menu. As drinks are common selling items, so we want it near the top of the menu.
- Edit Categories
2. Drag and Drop using the 3 lined icon. Keep finger on DRINKS and move up to desired location. Then tap DONE to save.
How to build optional SUB-CATEGORIES
Sub-categories are optional and only used to separate the category so its easier to identify items.
Under DRINKS, we will add SOFT DRINKS, JUICES and MILKSHAKES
First Tap EDIT button on Category,
1. Edit Category
- Tap on DRINKS,
- Then + Add Subcategory
- Select Colour (keep colour same as DRINKS Category)
- Enter first Subcategory called SOFT DRINKS
- Then SAVE button
Repeat above to add JUICES and MILKSHAKES, to add the next item, continue to tap + Add Subcategory . The result should look like below
Then tap DONE.
example: Coke 375ml
Now we will continue to add the Products under the Soft Drinks sub-category. This includes adding the Product name, barcode, selecting category, entering a sale price and selecting an image.
We will add a simple product eg COKE 375ml.
Tap on Left Menu > Products then
1. Tap the + on top right.
Now lets add the Can of coke into the menu
- Enter Name of product eg. Coke 375ml
- Enter a Barcode, either make up a barcode or if using a barcode scanner, scan the barcode
- Select an image. Either take a photo using ipads camera, or save an image from google and use from Album.
- Select Category, in this case Drinks, then Soft Drinks
- Enter a Sale Price (Price is inclusive of taxes). We also recommend a Purchase price so reports can display profit)
- To Save, tap Create a product, then tap NEW PRODUCT to continue and add the next product.
Tap Close and see how it will ultimately look on the sale screen.
We will now add the rest and see how it looks. Repeat and tap the + button on the top right to add the next product.
Below is a finalised list of products in Tiled view mode.
Below is toggle between Tiled View or List view.
In List view you may change the order of display for items. By default, the order is in Alphabetical order. Simply drag and drop item to the desired location.
Note: If you have multiple tablets, you may need to update the other tablets, by tapping Settings > Reset Device Content.
Price Variants & Add-Ons
example : Coffee, adding Latte
Price variants are primarily used to offer a product that may have choice of options Eg Coffee Size, which means there will be option of price. This example will show you how to add price variants.
For advanced requirements, the Variants can also be nested to multiple selection options. Example,
Once product is chosen, then Takeaway or Dine in, Then select Size, or choose Style, Colour etc. However multiple nested structure can be difficult for future maintenance so we recommend only to use Variants for price change and not for general selection and recommend to use Add-Ons for further selections.
In the below example we will use
– a LATTE Coffee,
– with 3 different Price Variants for Size, and
– Add-On option for Coffee options & Milk Types
Below is an example of how a sale of latte made in 3 steps.
For those that sells only TWO price option, you can eliminate the Variant selection and simply add a LARGE option in the Add-Ons with the price difference.
For those that provide a discount for BYO Cups, you may add a Negative value in the AddOn price.
When selling, the Variants, user must select one item to move on.
Below will show you how to add a Latte in to the menu with option of Coffee Size selection for Small, Medium and Large, which will have different prices.
Then we will show how to build re-usable Addons.
Build the Latte as described in previous example, then tap on Create Product
Below Option will display, We will be adding the Size variant.
You can also close this page and add variants on Edit screen.
Below will show how to add a variant called “Coffee Size”. Remember that this will be re-used for when you add the rest of the coffees. So Below will be done once and then used again for other coffees
- to 3, simply tap the + then
- Then Name the group so we can recognise and re-use it later.
- Then tap Add Attribute.
Add Sizes. Tap the Add Variant to add the SML, MED, LRG then Save.
We are now ready to add prices to each size
- Tap to select Size Type.
- Tick SML
- Tap Select
- Add the Price for a Small Late.
- Then Create variant. The item will add this pricing in the background.
Repeat the below process to add the MED price, then
Repeat again to add the LRG pricing
Close all pages, List below confirms whats added. In this case the 3 sizes with prices
Any time in the future, you can tap on Variant and change prices on this page.
1. Now tap Close
Variants for this coffee is complete,
You may go to sale screen and test to see Size selection appears under Latte. Then, Go to Left menu, Products and tap on Late to add the Add-Ons.
We will now continue to add the Add-Ons.
Add-Ons and Grouping of addons.
Addons are option for customer to choose.
Tap on Addons to include choice for Milk Types and Other options for customer.
In this example we will Create Two Groups, Coffee Options and Milk Types
Remember, once we create the groups, they can be used for other products as well. Eg Milk Types group can be used for Milkshakes as well as Coffees.
Tap + Plus to add a new group.
Below are Groups created earlier as a sample. Milk Types group already exists so we will create a new group called “Coffee Options”.
At any stage, you can tap on Edit (next to +) and modify the list of items and prices.
- Enter the Name “Coffee Options”, Then SAVE
- Tap on the Add-Ons Maintenance page.
The example below will show how to add a new addon into the list of addons.
We will add a new Add-On called “Sweetener” with price 0
Also the Image is searched in Google
1. Tap + to Add a new item
2. Select Image for the item (this is optional)
3. Enter a Name of product “Sweetener”
4. Enter an unused Barcode
5. Enter a Sale Price, can leave as zero if not charging customer. (Or even have a negative price to offer price reduction Eg. BYO Cup or Student Discount
6. Save and To Add the next item repeat from 1 above.
The items under Addons list can be shared, so same item can be used on different add-on groups. These add-ons are also used in Included Items list, which will be covered later.
Once you have added all the Add-on items, simply select them to add to the new “Coffee Options” Group we created.
Then Tap on Close, Then SAVE
The “Coffee Options” group is created.
We will use both Coffee Options and Milk Types for this Latte.
These two groups can be used for all other coffees, you simply need to choose them as below
Tap Edit to change order of display in SALE screen, by default, the top items will be displayed first.
Both variants and add-ons are created and attached to the product called Latte.
Now you can continue to add the next coffee, like Cappuccino , Flat white etc. and use the already created Variants and Addons for each coffee type
Once all completed, tap the CLOSE
In the future, if you need to modify any of the Products and its associated fields, like prices etc, use the Products page to tap on items and edit details on the right hand side
To Edit any prebuilt item, including editing variants, add-ons, prices etc, simply go to
Left Menu > Products> tap on product and make change on the right hand side.
To Add a new product, tap on the + on top right corner.
Addons within the Pizza Size with price variant.
We will extend the details and add further options for this Pizza example.
- We will create a Vegetarian pizza
- Create Price variant on Dine in or Takeaway
- Further Price variant on Small, Large and Family sizes.
- Then Build add-ons with two prices. Small pizza add-on will be cheaper, and Large more expensive. So we need to create a duplicate add-ons for Small and Large, and choose the add-ons from Pizza Size VARIANT rather than in the product.
Below is Sale screen showing how the sale process will follow.
A Vegetarian Pizza, for Takeaway, Small Size, with No Onion and Add Pineapple
To achieve this we will need to first add all the AddOn into the menu.
At this stage, you need to decide if you sell your add-ons for one price regardless of size, or have different price for each size.
In the below example we will have 2 prices for add-ons Small price and Large price.
Eg. If customer wants extra pineapple on Small pizza, sale price is $0.60, & for Large $1.20
Adding multiple Addons
We have covered this earlier however we will still go through how it works.
Tap on Left Menu > Products > Vegetarian > then Add-On group
Below example presumes you have built all the Pizzas using the Top right +
Now ready to build Addons, Included items then Variants.
We are now in Addons list page. These are all the Addons we have built and use for various products.
1. Tap on the + to add a new group, We will build the SML Pizza Extras and LRG Pizza Extras
Adding Two Price Variants
We will add two Variant groups, one for Delivery Type (Takeaway or Dine In) and another for Size of pizza (Sml, Lrg, Fam), which will create a combination for pricing under each selection. Noting that there will be 9 combinations of different price for this one pizza.
ALSO, addons for Small pizza will be cheaper then for Lrg and Fam sizes.
- Tap on Variant
The screen below shows how it will look when variant is completed.
In below example, the Add-on group will be left blank. Given the addons will be attached to the Size variant.
The Variant page appears as per below
To add a PIZZA SIZE, It is same as when we added the Coffee Size, however in this case we will also select Add-Ons for each size.
- Tap + to open a new Variant Page.
- Tap + again to create a new Pizza Size group name. Then SAVE
- Add the Group name ”Pizza Size” or you may say “Select Pizza Size” as this header will be displayed to your employees.
- Now lets create each size beginning with SMAL, LARGE then FAMILY.
- For each size, new select the ADD-ONS we created earlier, in the below example we are creating a large pizza, so select the “LRG Pizza Extras” we created.
Save above and now repeat the same for Delivery Type
The Delivery Type will consists of Takeaway and Dine-In Prices.
If you have a single price or you don’t have Dine-In, then you don’t need to do this part.
Repeat as above and add Delivery Type as the Name, then add Takeaway and Dine In.
Selecting Combination to add Sale Price.
Below section completes the selection by combining the variations and ultimately to add a Sale Price for each combination.
We first need to Delivery Type and Pizza Size attributes we built earlier above.
- Press the + to add
- Select Delivery Type. The order you select attributes, is the order that will be displayed in sale screen.
- Tap the + again
- Select Pizza Size.
Now we can select the type and add the price.
- Tap along the Delivery Type to select “Takeaway”
- Select Takeaway
- Tap Select
You may Tick more than one item here. Eg. If Garlic Pizza is same price regardless of dine in or takeaway, then you can tick both T/A and Dine in. and if there only one size, eg only Large Garlic pizza then simply select only Large
Now repeat the above for Pizza Size,
- We are starting with Small Pizza,
- Add the Sale price for a Takeaway, Small Vegetarian Pizza
- To finalise, tap the Generate Variant.
Now repeat all 9 combinations by changing the attribute. So below, you would continue by Changing Small to, Large, Add the Large price, Tap Generate, then
select Family, add Family price, then generate, then
its time to do Dine In prices, select Dine-In, change Size to Small, Enter Sale price, then Generate. Etc
The list would look like below, with each option having own price. Given the option of two delivery types and 3 sizes, the total combination is 9 different pricing.
Note that you may build many imbedded combinations, however with each added combination, the multiplication will grow extremely large. We recommend using the Addons for optional items.
Deals are offers to customers which simply combines a several items with a single price.
For example, 2 Large Pizzas and Drink, You can include other offering like garlic bread, or upgrades to other items. So the deals are designed to offer a range of options for customer to choose.
The selection can get complicated, as each pizza has different ingredients, Plus Add Ons, selection and even half half pizzas
The Sale screen will look like below, offering Pizza deal,
Select the Deal pizza, then select the Pizzas (addons will display for each) then Coke
Before you begin adding deals, please make sure you have the products already setup. Eg we will use existing Pizza and Drinks category to add to the selection for deals.
Go to Left Menu, Products, then tap + on top right, Add the product. Below is the Edit view of product.
- Tap on the product, then Deals.
– you don’t need Variant, as SIZE is already identified as LARGE pizza deal.
– Included items will be selected from the pizza itself so no need for this
– you don’t need Add-on groups. It will be selected within the deal (explained further), You can add add-ons here, this will be displayed after the last selection and could be other upsell offerings, like upgrade to Family or add garlic breads etc.
Now lets add the deal details.
- Add Selection
- Give the selection a name, remember the name will appear on sale screen so make it descriptive to your staff. Eg “Select 1st Pizza”
- Tap on Add Category
- Now select the category, like Pizza. We use the existing categories to add to the deal, in this case all products under the “Pizza” category.
- Then goes back to selecting the Add-Ons.
Before creating deals, please finalise your regular menu, as you need to select the deal from existing Category.
Once selected, you now have the option of selecting the AddOns.
In previous examples, we decided that we will charge more for Large pizzas, so we will do the same here and select the Larg pizza extras
- Select Add-On Group (or groups)
- Select the “LRG Pizza Extras”
- Save, 4. Save again
And finally we will repeat the process and select the Drinks
- Add selection
- Provide a name “ Select Drink”
- Add category
- Select from existing category, Drinks (if all drinks are offered, then simply select Drinks, however we are only offering Soft Drinks and not Juices, so
- Select sub category, We are only offering “Soft Drinks”
Drinks don’t have AddOns , just tap Save to finalise the list.
The deal is complete,
- Tap on SAVE
How the sale will look for this sale
User will select “2 Large Pizza and Drink” product
Below selection screen will be displayed
User selects, Vegetarian, then Included items and add-ons appear.
When user selects the PIZZA the customer wants, the Add-Ons will appear, as below.
This will be repeated for each pizza.
For items under “Included Items”, if customer does Not want an ingredient eg Onion, simply tap the RED section. The order docket will display “No Onion”.
If customer wants, Extras, than tap each item under “LRG Pizza Extras”. System will charge the amount specified under each item.
The sale screen will display as below
The Included Items are basically ingredients included in the product. Primary use is to REMOVE items by tapping on RED circle, that customer does not want. Eg Remove Onions from this pizza.
The “Included items” list appears on top part of the addons page.